2002 Altima 3.5SE

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan II (NDSII) Windows PC software.
Jojo99

Re: 2002 Altima 3.5SE

Post by Jojo99 »

I'm scratching my head here wondering what I have to do to get some help on making this program communicate with my ODBII port.

Do you just ignore problems you don't know who to solve?

If you simply don't know how to help figure out why your program can't communicate Tom, then at least have the courtesy and decency to tell me.
Jojo99

Post by Jojo99 »

Tom - You asked if a full scan recognized the ECU, which it did on hex address "40". Did this not give any clue as to why the connect tab in NDSII is unable to find the ECU?

Are there any further tests you would like me to do to help resolve this problem?

I cannot purchase your software if it cannot connect.
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

ECU id 40 is the the BCM. It's not the engine ECU. You should be able to connect from the BCM tab, this would prove the cable is working ok but that will not help you fix issues with your engine.

There must be some other issues preventing you from connecting to the ECM. The fact that you can find an ECU when the engine is off but not when the engine is running (I assume "key set to ON position" means engine running) would suggest you have issues with EMF noise interference. Is you engine grounded properly?

We can help you with the NDSII software but we can not guide you through every step on how to repair your car. The NDSII software is just another tool, not a replacement for a mechanic. If you feel this is beyond your skill level you should take the car to a qualified mechanic.
Jojo99

Post by Jojo99 »

"ECU id 40 is the the BCM. It's not the engine ECU. You should be able to connect from the BCM tab, this would prove the cable is working ok but that will not help you fix issues with your engine."

You asked "Try the "Find ECU" function under Settings->Communication and see if you get any active ECUs".

I did so and it turned up "ECU ID 40 - active" when the key is in the OFF position. Apparently, this wasn't what you were looking to happen?

I note from your manual that I can turn the DTR checkbox off. I will try that tomorrow. The instructions also mention that I can fiddle with the INI TIMER OFFSET value. Do you have any suggestions in this area?

I can also send you the debug file. Can't this help isolate what the problem is? That is what it exists for, no?

The car has been running for 20 years. I assume the engine is grounded properly. Do you have a suggestion on how to test or establish that it is not grounded properly?

As for skill levels, I have a BS in Computer Science, 35 years of tech experience. Have written system level IBM mainframe code. I've also built and debugged numerous PC's over the years. AND I've also built a few engines back in the day and have tuned many cars but I won't bore you with the details.

What mechanics are you suggesting that I consult with? I've spoken to a few and none of them so far has the Consult software necessary to access the ECU. If they did, then I wouldn't need your product.
Jojo99

Post by Jojo99 »

I Just tested connection attempt with the DTR checkbox off this time. Did not help.

I then ran through testing varying all the INI settings from -5 to +5. Did not help.

I tried to connect from each of the tabs and none of them work.

I also turned on the Debug checkbox but cannot locate any debug file to look at or to send to you. How is this generated and where is it located? I assume that the debug/log file would be able to give us some kind of error message that would tell us where the connection failures are occurring? That would be most helpful!

Also, another idea - would the NDSIII software possibly work better with my old car?
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

Have you tried connecting from the BCM tab with the ignition in OFF position, ON position, ON position and the engine running? Try all 3 conditions and let us know results for all 3. You need to prove that your cable and settings are correct by connecting to at least one ECU.

The debug log file is saved in the users Documents folder. The file will not contain much since there is no response from the ECM (which you have tested with the "Find ECU" function). The software can not tell you what is wrong with the ECU if it can't communicate with it.

You should have Adaptor Type set to Generic. Just double check that settings under Settings->Communication.

Check the grounding of your engine and the ECM. It's a common issue on old cars. As they say "Assumption is the mother of all f ups".

NDSIII will not work on your car. It's for cars that use CAN bus for diagnostics.
Jojo99

Post by Jojo99 »

I sent the cable back and ordered another different one on the premise that cable might be defective. It will be here in 2 days (Wednesday, my time) and I should be able to retry on Thursday.

"The debug log file is saved in the users Documents folder. The file will not contain much since there is no response from the ECM (which you have tested with the "Find ECU" function). The software can not tell you what is wrong with the ECU if it can't communicate with it."

I understand but the attempts to communicate should generate some sort of failure status info that might be able to tell why the software is unable to connect. The car is running and quite good other than this idle problem, so the ECU/BDM, etc. modules are working.

Concerning grounding: Would this test acceptable for you?

How do you check a car's ground with a multimeter?
Image result for how to check engine grounding
Set the voltmeter to read ohms (resistance) and probe the battery's negative stud and ground connection on the accessory (the ground terminal on an amp, for example). If you have a reading less than five ohms, the ground is okay.Jul 24, 2019
Jojo99

Post by Jojo99 »

I received the new cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK7HSB4) and was happy that it worked immediately!

I will now purchase the software and hope it can fix my problems.

Here is what success looks like:
Attachments
NDS Sucess 2.jpg
NDS Sucess 2.jpg (141.93 KiB) Viewed 264 times
NDS Success 1.jpg
NDS Success 1.jpg (188.84 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

That looks much better
Jojo99

Post by Jojo99 »

One thing I am noticing is that I have to click the CONNECT button under the ECM tab twice. Clicking just one time generates a failed to connect msg. Clicking again works.

I am also noticing that I am losing the connection periodically and have to click the CONNECT button again as if it timing out. Any idea why this is happening?