Missing parameters?

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan II (NDSII) Windows PC software.
the_kingandI

Missing parameters?

Post by the_kingandI »

The service manual for the N16 shows the Mass Air Flow Sensor can be retrieved via Consult II (it's called the MASS AIR FLOW option). It gives the air flow reading in g/s.

Nissan Data Scan 1.51 doesn't give me that value / option though - how do I get that?
Does anyone elses vehicles get that option?
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Missing parameters?

Post by Tom »

Do you have "Air Flow Volts"? You might be able to use that instead.
the_kingandI

Post by the_kingandI »

But I want the g/s reading - the amount of air, not the sensors Volt reading.

Is it possible that the g/s reading is available in the ECU, but the Datascan app excludes it incorrectly?

Perhaps some steps on how I can verify that the reading in g/s is definitely not available ..? I think that's what has happened here.
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

The g/s reading is directly related to the sensor voltage.

Yes, it's possible the g/s parameter is not supported by the NDSII but is available from the ECU.
the_kingandI

Post by the_kingandI »

Tom wrote:
> Yes, it's possible the g/s parameter is not supported by the NDSII but is available
> from the ECU.
>

OK, so that basically would mean how you query the supported parameters might in fact be in error ?
Any chance of you creating a patched version where you ignore the response to your request for supported parameters from the ECU and treat it as 'if' it has it, and I can feedback to you if it does indeed support it so the version can be fixed for all?

i.e. Make a debug build where the ECU reply as supporting all parameters, and then I'll check for g/s and if the reading for g/s does appear to be correct, I'll let you know..
sonicii

Post by sonicii »

The sensor voltage would be the preferred display for troubleshooting purposes as that is the actual output of the MAF. I wouldn't classify that type of coding as an 'error'. Any g/s figure would be calculated by the ECU assuming the factory standard MAF.

The question is, Does the ECU actually generate a g/s figure that can be read via the consult port, or does the Nissan Consult device derive this figure itself based on the MAF voltage?
the_kingandI

Post by the_kingandI »

It's queried from the ECU

What's needed is a version of NDS compiled which instead of querying the ECU for supported properties, assumes all are there, then we can check what is and isn't supported, and feedback that to Tom for fixing NDSII
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

I agree, the MAF sensor voltage is probably a better option for trouble shooting purposes. Unless you are trying to follow some specific service manual instructions that require the g/s value.

NDSII already supports the MAF reading in g/s but for the newer VQ engines.

Can you send me a debug file that captures connection to the ECU and Data Display function? (Settings->Communication->Save debug data option)