Connect fails at "Keep Alive" [solved]

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan II (NDSII) Windows PC software.
fenugrec

Connect fails at "Keep Alive" [solved]

Post by fenugrec »

Hi,
I'm trying the unregistered NDS 2.53 program to connect to a Sentra Spec-V 2004, USDM (well Canada). I have a generic interface on COM3. Just pressing "Connect" from the ECM tab does nothing (Comms Failed) with the default ECM ID of 0x10.
So I tried "Find ECUs" which only finds one ECU at 0xFE, and only when "ini timer" is 0. So I'm pretty sure my interface works; plus I see some nice square data on the K-line with my scope while running "Find ECU".

Then, I set "ECM ID" to 0xFE and re-tried the Connect button on the ECM tab; I seem to have some success as the status bar goes through a few operations (ECM ID, GetParams, GetRegs, etc. I forget some); but when it gets to "Keep Alive" it immediately stops and fails. Trying to Connect from the OBD2 tab also fails...
I tried a bunch of "ini timer" values but only 0 gets me as far as "Keep Alive".
Note, I set the NDS2 process to "Realtime" priority to compensate for my slow laptop (old P4 I think, running win XP).

[EDIT] I also tried on a faster laptop; I get exactly the same behavior if I set "ini timer" to either -5,-4,-3,-2, 4 or 5.

I'm not sure what to try next... any suggestions ?
Last edited by fenugrec on 25 Feb 2014, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
fenugrec

Re: Connect fails at "Keep Alive"

Post by fenugrec »

And here are two debug logs that I can't interpret; one is a "successful" Find ECU log where only 0xFE is found, and the other is when I try to connect to ECM 0xFE but it fails at Keep Alive.
Attachments
log_connect0xFE.log
(576 Bytes) Downloaded 161 times
log_findECU.log
(576 Bytes) Downloaded 150 times
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

Both debug logs showing connection to Ecu ID FE. FE is not an engine ECU so the connection fails when the ECU doesn't recognise the keep alive command.
What engine is in your car? Is it SR20DE?

With an older PC try different "Ini Timer Offsets" and try connecting a few times.

Are you able to connect from the OBDII tab?
fenugrec

Post by fenugrec »

Hum, I thought I had made two separate logs of the ECU connecting and the ECU search. Apparently not, sorry.
Sentra Spec V 04 = QR25DE, ECU part # probably 23710-8U900 / 8U902 according to parts diagram. Haven't taken mine apart yet.

I didn't insist with the connect button on the OBD2 tab, but the few times I tried it didn't work. I'll give it a try again later today with every possible timer offset and try to get the right logs uploaded this time.

Also, based on a handheld OBD code reader I have here, the ECU seems to respond only to ISO9141 slow inits, and not the 25ms on / 25ms off init pattern of ISO14230 / KWP2000. From what I saw on the scope it seems NDS2 doesn't seem to use a slow init to connect to the ECU, correct? Maybe for some unfathomable reason my ECU absolutely needs a slow init ?

I'll be back.
fenugrec

Post by fenugrec »

Haha... well I have to admit, to my shame, that I had miswired my OBD connector. I was using the L pin (15) instead of K (7)... In my (hopeless) defense, I made that adaptor a few years ago and never got around to testing it. Sorry for wasting everyone's time... I'm usually good at following my own tried-and-true troubleshooting checklist:
1- Power
2- Wiring, continuity & pinouts
3- Signal integrity

I seem to have skipped #2 altogether...
NRX

Post by NRX »

I have QG16DE engine and I went through the exact issue as the OP. I used Find ECU to find that my ECU ID is FE. Then I used that as my I'd and clicked connect. I though I was successful when I saw some operations going on the status bar. To my horror though it stops at Keep alive. OBD II tab or any other tab doesn't work. Could you please help me ? I'm using a generic adaptor I bought off eBay with FTDI chip.

Thanks..