350Z VQ35HR compatibility

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan II (NDSII) Windows PC software.
psion

350Z VQ35HR compatibility

Post by psion »

Hi does the nissan data scan II work with the 350Z HR model? I dont see it in the compatibility list?
psion

Re: 350Z VQ35HR compatibility

Post by psion »

wow so no answer :cry:
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

NDSII is not compatible with the VC35HR engine ECU.
amolao

Post by amolao »

It works on mine...2006 350Z HR, I get OBDII, ECM, ABS connection and functions. Not sure if Im suppose to get connection with others, like SRS (airbag info). I can change settings and I see all selected gauges,,,,,
the only thing is I loose connection when switching tabs, not sure if thats normal operation or incompatiblity. Other than that Im happy with product..... :mrgreen:
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

Cool, thanks for confirming. I thought all VQ35HR engines were already CAN.
Yes, you would loose connection when changing tabs. You can connect to only one ECU at the time. When you change the tab, the previous connection has to terminate so you can initiate a new one.
amolao

Post by amolao »

Called it "researching and testing", where is my discount? :D

Good to know about the disconnection lapse between ecu, makes sense....
Hey Tom, what was the reason to think that the HR's we're not compatible and using a different protocol...???
I thought the hr's and non hr's ecu were pretty much the same other than a few different instructions....
Just wondering...
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

The main reason is that the GI section of the Service manual shows CAN as communication line for diagnostics. See below.
I think the ECUs are a bit different as well. You have dual AFM, throttles as well as wide band O2 sensors on HR engines.
[attachment=0]350z HR GI.pdf[/attachment]
Attachments
350z HR GI.pdf
(35.26 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
amolao

Post by amolao »

Oh, ok good info.
Something else I will share, these engines are famous for using oil and knocking. I did get this engine as a replacement for the oil comsuption issue. This one did not burn oil and runs strong until it warms up and then the oil pressure goes down, causing loud valve chatter. Tried different fuels without results, my next step was to try a colder spark plug . But decided to check the timing with nds. The engine was timed correctly. But it wasn't until I adjusted +2 that the chatter stopped completely and the engine runs stronger and smoother. I knew that timing was a factor and affecting the oil pressure at the same time, not sure why the engine is "fooled" with a correct time setting....?..
The oil pressure stays half way in the gauge now....love it... Thanks Tom, you and NDS saved me money and made me a happy driver again.....
sonicii

Post by sonicii »

The VQ35HR started with the 07 350Z, all 05-06 350Z should have the VQ35DE revup engine (which had oil consumption issues, the HR didn't).
Does yours have dual intakes? if not, then it is a VQ35DE which would explain why NDSII works.