Cant connect

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan II (NDSII) Windows PC software.
DoubleA007

Cant connect

Post by DoubleA007 »

Hey guys, hope all is well. Long story short I have a built VQ30DEK in a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th anniversary ( a mint car), the engine is blue print & balanced, a lot of money put in that 7 years built. Last year I started the car but on the third attempt the ECU fried, because of a faulty IAC valve.

ECU was ship to a reputable company who fix Nissan ECU. The ECU is back in the car and the damn car wont start, this might be a fuel or electrical issue or perhaps the ECU is fried again. Now yesterday I recalled to have purchased NDSII in 2009 but never got to hook it up, it was still in the original package brand new, so I registered the software set up my laptop running win7 min ago I went to the garage plug the Blazt USB adaptor in the car ODBII plug when I click connect I get the USB driver message and the fail connection or something like that. The adaptor is set-up on com3 and I see it on the device manager, so I know it is seen by the computer and set-up properly. At this point I dont know what to think, is it the ECU that is fried again and therefore the adaptor cant connect ? everything work on the car beside that the engine doesn't fire up. Is it a USB driver issue, faulty Blazt adaptor. Before jumping to conclusion and removing the ECU which is a pain in the a...I'd like to see what are my option.

P.S: I have downloaded the USB driver from NDS website but there is no installer and I have no clue how to install or where to put the file (I'm a Mac expert but less in the PC world)

Thanks for any help.

André
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Cant connect

Post by Tom »

It sounds like an interesting project. Post some photos if you can.

If you know for sure the adaptor is setup on Com Port 3 (it disappears from device manager when unplugged) you do not need to install the driver.

Make sure the Com Port setting under Settings->Communication points to the right Com Port. If you are using the Blazt II adaptor select "BlaztII adaptor" under Adaptor Type.

If you checked everything and still can't connect try the "Find ECU" function. It should come up with some Active ECUs which will confirm the adaptor and your config works.
DoubleA007

Post by DoubleA007 »

Hey Tom, thanks for the support. I will double check everything tomorrow.

In the mean time enjoy the pic.
Attachments
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
IMG_0519-1.jpg
IMG_0519-1.jpg (97.99 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
DoubleA007

Post by DoubleA007 »

Good day every one !

When I tried to start the engine with starting fluid last week, the engine back fired so I immediately stop cranking it, so yesterday I spoke with a friend of mine who is a Nissan Technician, after a brief discussion reviewing what I have done, we think the timing might be the culprit (TDC). I have replaced the 2 crank sensors and the cam sensor for brand new one, at this point I'm not sure of anything, but my friend is going to bring the dealer Consult II computer and hopefully he can confirm the timing issues. I have also replaced the 6 coil pack so there is plenty of fire. One thing I also want to check, is the cam spacer/adaptor, which where custom made to have a specific timing with the VQ35 cam that where put in this engine (if that make sense), it's possible that one of the dolly pin is broke or something like that. For now I'm going to see if the NDSII can see the ECU and wait for my friend to come over.

Thanks for any support or help.
DoubleA007

Post by DoubleA007 »

Hey guys, no matter what I have tried, the NDS II software doesn''t connect to my 2001 Nissan Maxima ECU.

I'm a computer guys so I'm sure it has nothing to do with ports or the computer. I dont have a second USB cable so I can't say for sure but the cable was bought new and it's brand new. The software doesn't connect with the ECU, I donh recall the exact message I had but it was something like a " time out " which tell me that there is no connection between the laptop and the ECU.

Long story short, the ECU on the car has been repaired by a company in FL, but since I have installed it on my max I haven't been able to start the engine a single time, so after dropping the oil a second time (too much fuel in it) I figure there must be something wrong with this ECU, all the electrical on the car works fine, but who know and the engine refuse to start, I have use starting fluid and only got a back fire.

I have a spare ECU, but I know it will not work with my current key. I have read that it is possible to reprogram the key so it will work with the spare ECU. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciate, the last few months have been pretty frustrating, moving form one problem to the other. I have spend about 40K rebuilding the car and an awesome 3.0L engine (blue print and fully balanced with a lot of custom machining) and 5000 hours later I would like to enjoy my ride anytime soon.

I can't seem to find the metal ring with the serial number of the key, but let me guess I need the spare ECU serial number in order to reprogram the key.

Thanks for any helps.

AA
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

PM me a photo of your BCM and I might be able to help you. Otherwise there is a default PIN for most Maximas.

Before you can program new keys you have to be able to connect to your ECM. Use your new ECU, turn the car on and try to connect. You don't need to start it. This will confirm if it really is a faulty ECU.

Do you have any wiring diagram for the VQ30DEK engine? It's an oldish engine maybe it's not OBDII/ConsultII.
DoubleA007

Post by DoubleA007 »

Hello Tom, thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been here for a while.

The VQDEK is OBDII compliant, I have an OBDII reader and work no problem. I would think it is also consultII compliant but I just posted it on www.maxima.org I should get an answer shortly.

I'm sure I have a wiring diagram for the VQDEK, I'll look for it and let you know asap.

P.S: I'd like to work on the car this coming week-end so any feed back from you would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

André
DoubleA007

Post by DoubleA007 »

Hey Tom, I have the wiring diagram of the VQ30DE-K, it is also ConsultII compliant as well as ODBII. See the link below.

I'm going to swap ECU hopefully this pm or sometime this week.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html
Go there for the FSM - EC section has pinouts of the ecu and other engine wirediagrams

EL has more electrical stuff too
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

Yes, it looks like it uses k-line for ECM diagnostics.

The Consult II tool is backwards compatible so sometimes even though the manual describes using Consult II tool it actually uses the older Consult I protocol. The only real way to tell is to actually look at the ECM pins.

Let us know how you go with the new ECU.
DoubleA007

Post by DoubleA007 »

Hi Tom, thanks for the feedback.

Here is the 2001 ECM only pin out I have.
Attachments
2001 Maxima.png
2001 Maxima.png (29.02 KiB) Viewed 4715 times