computer lock up

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan I (NDSI) Windows PC software.
SR280z

computer lock up

Post by SR280z »

NDS seems to boot up ok and read codes, i can go to the data display screen and see the TPS,coolant temp everything else seems to work fine. Even while cranking. Once the engine starts the program locks up and i need to re-start the computer. Nothing seems to work when the car is running.

Is this a problem with my computer, my car, or the software?

1975 280z with a sr20det s14a 4cyl turbo all new wiring.
skylinegtrhr

Re: computer lock up

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Check ground cable on rear of engine head near firewall , and of course all other engine ground and make some additional if necessarily (You can't have to much ground ) , and if You have battery in boot , pull not only + cable but also - cable from boot to engine room.
And different laptops are more or less "immune" to electrical noise if ground is bad, I have one engine swap and only Toshiba and Panasonic laptops are working on it :) but never get time to make additional grounds as it is customer daily driver:)
SR280z

Post by SR280z »

What do you think i should try Tom?
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

skylinegtrhr is right. It's most probably a grounding issue. Nothing to do with ECU or software. Try putting an extra ground cable between your engine and chassis.

Is your laptop charging at the time or running on batteries?

BTW.
Do you have any photos of your car? It sounds like an interesting project. I especially like the smaller 240Z but they are hard to come by these days.
SR280z

Post by SR280z »

Thanks for the replies Sky and Tom.

I'll add a few more ground points and see what happens.

At one point while the program was locked up i was watching the mouse move around by itself. So i think it's interference of some sort. The cable is one i bought off of ebay somewhere in Europe.
LOL i hope it's not the lap top as it's brand new and bought just for this application.

I post whatever i find.

Here is a link to the way i've drained my checking account....

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/top ... -the-club/
SR280z

Post by SR280z »

I added more grounds and still have the same results. Took the car to get it tuned he didn't have any problems. So now i'm thinking it's either my computer or the data link cable.
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

What cable do You have and what tuner have? Can You ask him to test Yours laptop with his data cable, we have excellent results with PLMS cable.