Air Bag connection works, ECM does not

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan I (NDSI) Windows PC software.
goodguyndfw

Air Bag connection works, ECM does not

Post by goodguyndfw »

Can establish a connection to the ECU. The active ECU test completes ok. Clicking the Connect button for ECM does not establish a link. Clicking the Connect button for Air Bag does connect with the air bag dashboard light blinking plus the ability to run a diagnostic.

I have tried changing the port number but 5 is the only one that works. Also, tried the Auto connect option on and off. Using one of those generic Chinese made OBD1 Nissan readers connect to a Windows 10 laptop.

1994 z32 automatic with no mods. Check engine light is on. Exhaust smells rich.

Any help is appreciated. The car needs to pass a state emissions test asap.
Attachments
noscan.jpg
noscan.jpg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Air Bag connection works, ECM does not

Post by Tom »

It looks like your engine ECU is not responding to the connection requests. Try the "96 model z32" option just in case.

Any modifications to the ECU? Are you using the OEM ecu?
goodguyndfw

Post by goodguyndfw »

I bought it used but everything looks stock but not sure how to determine if an ecu swap has ever happened. What's weird is it finds it but the actual diagnostics code won't talk to it. I think I did try the 96 option but I tried so many combinations I can't remember if I tried it with a working port or not. I think so but no connection. I'll try again this afternoon.

When the active test reports back ok, is that different than the connection the diagnostics software is talking to the ecu? I guess I could order another obd reader but I have to be careful how much money all the little things are adding up to be. Had a couple of unexpected life occurances a while back hat has me on a tight budget for now. If the feedback here is that the cheap Chinese made ones off eBay are iffy and may be the connection problem, what's an inexpensive one that's solid? If the opinion those usually work ok and it's a wiring or ecu problem, let me know and I worry about that instead of a obd reader replacement

I did the led flash test off the ecu under the floorboard and the first couple of tries it flashed a 55 but the light was on. Later on 3rd attempt it flashed a 33 if I remember right, whatever the Egr issue code is. After reading how time intensive and complex for a newbie to swap or delete I found a z specialty shop that said it would prob be around $300 labor. So I'm going to do that because I'm in a countdown to get an emissions test. I can't get tags renewed without it passing. Anyway, it's possible there are more codes beyond the Egr one so I really would like to get the obd software working.

Will the led method show multiple errors back to back with a pause in between or do you have to resolve the current one before the next one shows itself? Not trying to get off scan connection topic too far, thought I'd ask those with more z experience than I have right now.

Appreciate the suggestions.
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

If you can connect to the Air Bag ecu the adapter must be working ok.

You have completed the Active ECU Test but the engine ECU did not reply. The ECU Id for engine ECU is EF. EF is not listed on the screenshots you have posted. It means the NDSI software did not receive a response from the engine ecu.