FTDI USB not working

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan I software (NDSI) for Android
amdeleon23

FTDI USB not working

Post by amdeleon23 »

Im using an FTDI FT232R 14 pin consult USB to connect to my 1994 B13 Sentra GA16DE (PHDM). I can't seem to make it work. the app detects my FTDI USB but when I press on the connect button, it always says ini failed. am I doing something wrong or is the phdm b13 sentra ecu not supported? I really need to make this work so I can adjust my a/f ratio. thanks. I attached a picture of the consult usb.
Attachments
Consult-2-CONSULTII-OBD-USB-1989-2000-DDL-14-pino-ARE4.jpg
Consult-2-CONSULTII-OBD-USB-1989-2000-DDL-14-pino-ARE4.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
Tom
Site Admin

Re: FTDI USB not working

Post by Tom »

Your car is supported and that adapter should work fine.
Try using the NDSI PC software and see if you can connect using the same adapter.
amdeleon23

Post by amdeleon23 »

I tried using the nissan data scan 1 software for pc. when i click on the connect button it doesn't do anything. Im using a windows 8 laptop, the key is in the "ON" position and it doesnt do anything, it's not connecting. I tried using auto detect com port and manual as well using com port 2 and other ports and i still cant make it work :/ I notice though that when i click connect in both the pc and the android software, the green light at the middle of the adapter blinks.
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

If the PC software can't connect either there must be a problem with either adapter, ecu or wiring.
Does the engine start and run ok? How many wires on your car's Consult port?
amdeleon23

Post by amdeleon23 »

yes the car is starting and running okay. the consult port has 6 wires; 2 white wires w/ colored stripes, 1 black wire, and 3 yellow wires with colored stripes. does the consult port connect directly to the ecu? so I can check if the wirings are all good. thanks tom.
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

Yes, the Consult port should connect directly to the ECU.
amdeleon23

Post by amdeleon23 »

The wires are all good, i even tested it with a multimeter the port is even getting 11.7v of electricity. I opened the ftdi usb and this is what's inside. do you think this is a legit device or did i get ripped off? hopefully not the latter. thanks.
Attachments
socket
socket
ftdi.jpg (80 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
ftdi usb chip
ftdi usb chip
ftdi chip.jpg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

It looks like a legit device.

I had a look at the wiring diagram for your car and it looks like your ECU needs the clock sugnal from the adapter. The adapter you have should be providing the clock signal but sometimes you can come accross faulty ones that do not.

Are you able to measure pin 9 on your adapter to see if you get around 154KHz? This would confirm the clock signal is ok. (adapter might need to be powered from the car not just USB).

[attachment=0]Sentra 1994 ec wiring.pdf[/attachment]
Attachments
Sentra 1994 ec wiring.pdf
Sentra 1994 GA wiring
(92.43 KiB) Downloaded 219 times