Double Din Head Unit

Discussions related to Nissan DataScan II software (NDSII) for Android
AK_Eyes

Double Din Head Unit

Post by AK_Eyes »

Hey Everyone,

I need a new head unit (car stereo) because mine is going downhill fast. I think I am going to get one off amazon that runs off the Android OS. Seems like you can do much more with it then WinCE based head units. I'm going to try and run NDS2 for Android on it with one of the proven ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth connectors. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to pull up gauges, etc. on your cars stereo!!??

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide to buy and if it works.
AK_Eyes

Re: Double Din Head Unit

Post by AK_Eyes »

Update:

Seems to work! I powered up the head unit and connected it to my bench ECU via Bluetooth and was able to read ECU information and navigate through NDSII for Android.

Here's what I purchased:
Pumpkin 6.95" Double Din Head Unit running Android 4.4 (Pumpkin KD-C0224)
Professional Diagnostic Tool OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner (purchased on Amazon)

Now I just need to play around with the Android version of NDSII and install it in my car. Looks like I'll have gauges on my stereo!

Quick questions:
Is there any "How To" for NDSII for Android?
Is it possible to change what data/sensors the gauges display?
Is it possible to change the display to black gauges like on the full version of NDSII?
AK_Eyes

Post by AK_Eyes »

Update:

Finally got my new head unit installed in my car last night. Check it out! Attached a picture of my "cockpit" with 14 gauges shown, haha.

[attachment=0]NDSII Head Unit.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
NDSII Head Unit Installed
NDSII Head Unit Installed
NDSII Head Unit.jpg (195 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
Tom
Site Admin

Post by Tom »

Is this the latest app version? The gauges shouldn't have the black background.
AK_Eyes

Post by AK_Eyes »

Hey Tom,

Yes I think so, unless it was updated since my last post. That could be something I changed in the settings possibly too? I know I was trying to mimic the gauges in my car as much as possible while I was messing around with it. I believe I was able to use the wifi and app store that came on the unit to download NDSII
seb.racing

Post by seb.racing »

I buy the same car radio on amazon to install in my 350z
it works well?
what is OBD adapter you buy ?
AK_Eyes

Post by AK_Eyes »

seb.racing,

yeah it works great! i love having NDS so easily accessible whenever i drive.

only things I have come across is, don't have any other bluetooth device connected at the same time as the OBD2 adapter because it will slow down both connected devices a lot! also the head unit seems to be a little short on RAM so make sure you don't have too many things running at once.

I bought my OBD2 adapter on amazon too. if you go to the supported adapters list under NDSII for Android mine looks like the one labelled "ELM 327 Interface - ELM327 v1.4 - PIN 6789"
murphys_law

Post by murphys_law »

Thats really slick. I like that setup a lot.
AK_Eyes

Post by AK_Eyes »

Thanks murphys_law! It is coming in handy for me to get used to typical stock tune values before modifying any maps :)